The English language has changed dramatically over the past 500 years, making it increasingly difficult for students to read Chaucer's works. Assuming no previous linguistic knowledge or familiarity with Middle English,...Show More
The English language has changed dramatically over the past 500 years, making it increasingly difficult for students to read Chaucer's works. Assuming no previous linguistic knowledge or familiarity with Middle English, Simon Horobin introduces students to Chaucer's language and the importance of reading Chaucer in the original, rather than modern translation.
- leads the reader gently through basic linguistic concepts with appropriate explanation
- highlights how Chaucer's English differs from present-day English, and the significance of this for interpreting and understanding his work
- provides close analysis and comparison with the writings of Chaucer's contemporaries to show how Chaucer drew on the variety of Middle English to achieve particular poetic effects
- includes sample texts, a glossary of linguistic terminology, a bibliography and suggestions for further reading to aid study.
Authoritative and easy-to-follow, this is an indispensable guide to understanding, appreciating and enjoying the language of Chaucer.
Assumes no prior knowledge of Middle English
One of the few books available devoted exclusively to Chaucer's language
Incorporates the latest research and scholarship, draws on modern linguistic methods
Why Study Chaucer's Language?
Writing in English
What was Middle English?
Spelling and Pronunciation
Language and Style
Discourse and Pragmatics
ConclusionAppendix: Sample Texts
Glossary of Linguistic Terms
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Syntactic Theory Geoffrey Poole
- Foundations Italian 1 Mara Benetti, Carmela Murtas, Caterina Varchetta
- English Language Jonathan Culpeper, Paul Kerswill, Ruth Wodak, Anthony McEnery, Francis Katamba
- Chaucer's Language Simon Horobin
- English Syntax and Argumentation Bas Aarts
- Language in Business, Language at Work Erika Darics, Veronika Koller
- Dialect in Film and Literature Jane Hodson
- The Frameworks of English Kim Ballard
- Mastering Chinese Catherine Hua Xiang
- Analysing Political Speeches Jonathan Charteris-Black
- Foundations Spanish 1 Maria del Carmen Gil Ortega, Cathy Holden
- Beginning Old English Carole Hough, John Corbett