In this innovative fusion of practice and criticism, Jeremy Scott shows how insights from stylistics can enrich the craft of creative writing. Focusing on crucial methodological issues that confront the practicing...Show More
In this innovative fusion of practice and criticism, Jeremy Scott shows how insights from stylistics can enrich the craft of creative writing. Focusing on crucial methodological issues that confront the practicing writer,
Creative Writing and Stylistics:
- introduces key topics from stylistics;
- provides in-depth analysis of a wide range of writing examples;
- includes practical exercises to help develop creative writing skills.
Clear and accessible, this invaluable guide will give both students and writers a greater critical awareness of the creative possibilities of language.
A wide range of examples and exercises help develop practical writing skills along with greater critical awareness of creative possibilities?
Part of the agenda-setting Approaches to Writing series, which provides students with integrated creative and critical approaches to creative writing
Introduction: Style, Composition, Creative Practice
1. Seeing Through Language
2. Building Blocks I: A Grammar of Creative Writing
3. Building Blocks II: Narrative and Structure (Story Narratology)
4. Through the Looking Glass: Who Sees? Who Tells? (Discourse Narratology)
5. Writing Voices: Presenting Speech and Thought
6. Creating a World: Text-world Theory and Cognitive Poetics
7. Creative Writing: Figurative Language
8. Meaning and Play: Metaphor
9. Creating Soundscapes: Rhythm and Meter, Sound and Sense
References and selected further reading.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- A Brief History of English Literature John Peck, Martin Coyle
- Postcolonial Literature Justin D. Edwards
- How to Write A Short Story (And Think About It) Robert Graham
- The Magic of Writing Adrian May
- A History of English Literature Michael Alexander
- Little Goody Two-Shoes and Other Stories Matthew Grenby
- Selected Tales for Children and Young People Susan Manly, Maria Edgeworth
- Writing Song Lyrics Glenn Fosbraey, Andy Melrose
- The Instinctive Screenplay Sam North
- Writing for the Screen Craig Batty, Zara Waldeback
- Writing Speculative Fiction Eugen Bacon
- Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway Michael Whitworth