This hands-on guide to advanced critical analysis and argumentation will help readers to communicate in way that is orderly, rigorously supported, persuasive and clear. It demonstrates how criticality can be paired with...Show More
This hands-on guide to advanced critical analysis and argumentation will help readers to communicate in way that is orderly, rigorously supported, persuasive and clear. It demonstrates how criticality can be paired with creativity to produce an insightful and engaging piece of research, and explores how narrative styles and rhetorical devices can be used to boost the persuasiveness of an argument. Chapters blend theory with practice and contain a wealth of activities designed to help students put new skills into practice or revitalise those they already have.
This is an essential resource for postgraduates and advanced undergraduates looking to hone their skills in critical analysis and communicate their ideas with precision and clarity.Show Less
- Brings together two core skills - critical thinking and persuasive writing - in one text, and highlights the importance of allying critical skills with other cognitive attributes
- Helps students to develop an imaginative and inventive approach to research
- Provides guidance on cultivating a distinctive, individual `voice'
- Contains numerous practical exercises to help readers improve their skills, all of which are anchored in solid educational theory
Critical Thinking in Context
Critical Reflection: Introducing the Domains of Critical Thought
Critical Analysis of Texts: Is it Useful? What is its Value?
Critical Analysis of Images: Interpreting Visual Rhetoric
Creative Critical Thinking and Writing: Breaking Down Dichotomies
The Critical Researcher
Referencing and Writing: Negotiating the Literature and Entering the Conversation
Persuasive Writing: Rhetorical Techniques
Persuasive writing: Developing a Narrative
Subjectivity, Playfulness, and Uncertainty in Academic Writing.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Critical Thinking Skills Stella Cottrell
- Getting Critical Kate Williams
- Reading and Making Notes Jeanne Godfrey
- Dissertations and Project Reports Stella Cottrell
- Writing for University Jeanne Godfrey
- Referencing and Understanding Plagiarism Kate Williams, Mary Davis
- Skills for Success Stella Cottrell
- The Study Skills Handbook Stella Cottrell
- How to Write Better Essays Bryan Greetham
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Time Management Kate Williams, Michelle Reid
- Report Writing Michelle Reid