This new version of a leading textbook on French politics offers expert analysis of recent national and international events, discussing their significance for France itself as well as for Europe and the wider world. It...Show More
This new version of a leading textbook on French politics offers expert analysis of recent national and international events, discussing their significance for France itself as well as for Europe and the wider world. It covers a wide range of current challenges facing the country under the presidency of Emmanuel Macron and considers how issues such as immigration, multiculturalism and gender and sexual politics fit with wider patterns in global politics.Show Less
- Leading text on French politics with a proven-track record of combining expert analysis with an international perspective.
- Places the challenges faced by France in a broad global context.
- Draws upon a balanced team of editors and authors (from France, the United States and the United Kingdom) with internationally recognised expertise on French and comparative European politics.
- Integrates core themes and institutions with contemporary issues.
- New co-editor Helen Drake joins the book's experienced team of editors.
- Completely revised to take stock of the presidency of François Hollande, the first half of Emmanuel Macron's mandate, and to look forward to the future of France and its significance to European and global politics.
- Covers a range of new topics including the National Rally (formerly the National Front), immigration, multiculturalism and gender and sexual politics.
Developments in French Politics 6 is exactly what Francophiles need right now! This fresh, engaging compendium pulls together all the key elements of a period of tremendous political transformation, bringing the reader right up to date. Yet its judicious coverage, high quality analyses and wide frame of reference will certainly ensure its significance long beyond the present moment. - Lorna Milne, University of St Andrews, UK
This volume provides a welcome guide to the complex, and sometimes disturbing, politics of a country that plays a central role in the European Union. Its portrait of how France is grappling with the kind of problems that now grip many western democracies is illuminating for everyone concerned about such issues. - Peter A. Hall, Harvard University, USA
The editors have marshalled together a superb set of chapters. This is a perfect starting point for thinking about the continuities and changes that have marked out the Macron era in France and the years preceding his arrival at the Élysée Palace. Essential reading for anyone wanting to understand contemporary France. - Christopher Bickerton, University of Cambridge, UK
Developments in French Politics 6 is a must-read for understanding the complex challenges confronted by all contemporary democracies. The high quality multi-generational team of international researchers deliver an unprecedented innovative and cutting-edge analysis of “transformation and resistance” in 21st century Fifth Republic France. - Amy G. Mazur, Washington State University, USA
For those seeking to understand the key changes and continuities in French politics and society since 2014, this latest volume in the Developments series brings together an expert team to parse the issues and trends that define this compelling polity. For country specialists and generalists alike, the book provides an excellent map of France’s contemporary political landscape, domestically and globally. It represents the state of the art in the study of the country, its population and its institutions. - Jocelyn Evans, University of Leeds, UK
An insightful and timely guide to the forces shaping contemporary France, and the challenges facing Emmanuel Macron. - Sophie Pedder, The Economist, France
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth