This is the go-to textbook on UK Politics and Government for all A-level Politics students studying on the Edexcel specification. Building on Andrew Heywood’s signature accessible style, this edition has been overhauled throughout by Kathy Schindler and Adam Tomes who draw on their extensive teaching and examining experience to provide a comprehensive and innovative guide to the UK Politics for A-level.
Written in a clear and accessible style, the book covers everything from Democracy and Participation, Political Parties and Elections, to Voting Behaviour and the Media, the Constitution, and Parliament, as well as coverage of key events such as the 2019 general election and the latest Brexit developments. In addition, it features a unique Exam Focus chapter offering advice on responding to essay and source questions, alongside annotated example answers. Alongside the book is a companion website featuring extra case studies, further sample student answers with annotations, tips for planning and organising revision, a list of resources for further study and more.
Covers all the topics found on the updated Edexcel A-level specification for UK Politics and Government
Includes a dedicated Exam Focus chapter offering advice to students on how to approach exam questions, covering both essay and source questions and with commentary on example student answersUp-to-date content on the 2019 and 2017 general elections, on Brexit, Covid-19, as well as case studies covering topics such as Extinction Rebellion, the suffragettes, votes for prisoners, various general elections
Written in straightforward, easy-to-follow language, and accompanied by numerous graphs, figures, maps, tables, photos and bullet points throughout to make the material easily digestible and visually engagingOffers a wide range of features to aid learning, including chapter previews, synoptic link boxes, definitions of key terms from the specification as well as other important concepts, writing tips, chapter summaries, and exam-style questions at the end of each chapter
Focuses on key topic debate areas, with paired arguments and counter-arguments as well as plenty of examples throughoutComes with an extensive set of associated online resources, including extra case studies, further sample student answers with annotations from the authors, flashcards for the glossary terms found in the book, tips for planning and organising revision, a list of resources for further study and more! Boxes throughout the book indicate where more content is to be found online
Completely overhauled content throughout
Now focused entirely on the Edexcel specification
Updated by two new authors with a wealth of teaching, examining and textbook writing experienceBrand new engaging design and pedagogical features
1. Democracy and Participation: Suffrage
2. Democracy and Participation: Pressure Groups and Rights
3. Political Parties
4. Elections and Referendums
5. Voting Behaviour
6. The Media
7. The Constitution
9. The Prime Minister and Executive
10. Supreme Court, EU and Sovereignty
11. Exam Focus.
- Specification checklist / matching chart each part of the specification cross-referenced with relevant page numbers in the book.
- Extra case studies.
- Further sample student answers with annotations on best practice from the expert authors.
- Revision flashcards for the spec terms and other terms defined in the book.
- Tips for planning and organising revision.
- A list of resources for further study.
- See the website for more resources, with regular updates.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth