This much-needed book provides a practical and comprehensive guide to achieving a PhD by published work. It provides an honest assessment of the pros and cons of various routes and helps readers to select the pathway that is...Show More
This much-needed book provides a practical and comprehensive guide to achieving a PhD by published work. It provides an honest assessment of the pros and cons of various routes and helps readers to select the pathway that is right for them. It demystifies key processes and aspects of the award, such as navigating regulations, writing a synthesis and preparing for a viva, and provides a wealth of guidance on how to maximise the impact of your published work. Each chapter is enriched with activities, questions and advice from those who have successfully completed the award to help readers get the most out of their doctoral experience.This text will be invaluable to researchers and academics of all disciplines pursuing a PhD by published work.
- Is informed by surveys of academic staff from around the world
- Covers the practicalities of the award, with sections on co-authoring academic publications, writing a coherent and convincing synthesis and making the most of supervisors
- Brings the doctoral journey to life by tapping into the authentic experiences from all angles, with advice and reflections from those who have successfully undertaken this route to a PhD
1. What is a PhD by Published Work and Why do it?
2. Understanding the Practicalities and Process of Doing a PhD by Published Work
3. Writing for Publication and How to Maximise the Impact of your Publication Outputs
4. Writing Your Synthesis
5. Working With Your Supervisor
6. Managing Your Viva Voce Examination… and Beyond.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Critical Thinking Skills Stella Cottrell
- Getting Critical Kate Williams
- Reading and Making Notes Jeanne Godfrey
- Dissertations and Project Reports Stella Cottrell
- Writing for University Jeanne Godfrey
- Referencing and Understanding Plagiarism Kate Williams, Mary Davis
- Skills for Success Stella Cottrell
- The Study Skills Handbook Stella Cottrell
- How to Write Better Essays Bryan Greetham
- Brilliant Writing Tips for Students Julia Copus
- Time Management Kate Williams, Michelle Reid
- Report Writing Michelle Reid