Concern for more open, participative, devolved and integrated government has led many, including the UK Labour government, to re-examine the importance of place, space and territory. Applying an institutionalist approach,...Show More
Concern for more open, participative, devolved and integrated government has led many, including the UK Labour government, to re-examine the importance of place, space and territory. Applying an institutionalist approach, and deploying substantial original empirical evidence, this book makes a major contribution to understanding the emergence of more localised governance in England in the 1990s, with particular reference to the role of spatial planning systems.Show Less
- Clearly and accessibly written
- Includes substantial new empirical research
- A thorough exploration of an institutionalist analysis to policy-making
Planning Systems and Territorial Governance
Constructing Accounts of Planning Practices: Theories and Concepts
PART II: PLANNING, GOVERNANCE AND SPATIAL STRATEGY
Planning and Governance in Three Localities
Cascading Numbers: Finding New Space for Housing
Jobs, Sites and Portfolio: Allocating Large Sites for Economic Development Purposes
Transport at a Metaphorical Crossroads: The Gradual Penetration of a Sustainable Development Discourse
Managing Waste: An Emerging Discourse in the Planning System?
PART III: THE DISCOURSES AND INSTITUTIONAL RELATIONS OF THE PLANNING SYSTEM
Planning Discourses in Transition
The Policy Communities of Spatial Strategy-making: The Emergence of a Regional Corporatism?
PART IV: CONCLUSIONS: TOWARDS A POLITICS OF PLACE?
Spatial Regulation or Spatial Planning: The Emergence of a New Politics of Place?.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Urban Planning Chris Couch
- Making Better Places Patsy Healey
- Planning Theory Philip Allmendinger
- Urban Resilience Jon Coaffee, Peter Lee
- Urban Theory John Rennie Short
- Planning the Mobile Metropolis Luca Bertolini
- Urban Design, Space and Society Ali Madanipour
- GIS for Planning and the Built Environment Ed Ferrari, Alasdair Rae
- Spatial Planning and Governance Mark Tewdwr-Jones
- Planning in the UK Clara Greed
- Sustainable Cities Simon Joss
- Regional and Local Economic Development Cliff Hague, Carrie Breitbach