This exciting new edition is an engaging and accessible introduction to understanding human behaviour and development from a psychological perspective. Written by a psychologist with extensive teaching experience, it offers...Show More
This exciting new edition is an engaging and accessible introduction to understanding human behaviour and development from a psychological perspective. Written by a psychologist with extensive teaching experience, it offers a clear and systematic exploration of psychological concepts and research, and discussion of their relevance for social work practice.
The psychological framework provides thematic coherence for a uniquely wide range of material, from brain development to communication skills, psychiatric diagnoses to forms of discrimination. With a logical and intuitive structure, it’s perfect for Human Growth and Development modules and a range of other Social Work modules with psychological content, enabling students to see how different elements of theory and research connect together for practical application.
Makes clear - at every level, from chapter headings through to pedagogy - how psychological theory and evidence connects with social work practice
Provides a one-stop-shop combination of clarity and depth to suit a range of students' study needs
The Brain and Behaviour.- 3 Communication and Relationship in Social Work.- 4 Approaches to Psychology.- 5 Human Growth and Development.- 6 Disabilities.- 7 Mental Health.- 8 Well-Being and Environmental Stressors.- 9 Abuse and Trauma.- 10 Social Psychology.- Appendices.- References.- Index.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Peer Support in Mental Health Emma Watson, Sara Meddings
- Issues, Debates and Approaches in Psychology Ian Fairholm
- The Critically Reflective Practitioner Sue Thompson, Neil Thompson
- Ethics and Values in Social Work Sarah Banks
- Emotion Science Elaine Fox
- Doing a Successful Research Project Martin Davies, Nathan Hughes
- Social Work Theories in Context Karen Healy
- Philosophy of Social Science Ted Benton, Ian Craib
- Psychology, Mental Health and Distress John Cromby, Dave Harper, Paula Reavey
- Working with Substance Users George Allan
- Practising Social Work Sociologically Priscilla Dunk-West, Fiona Verity
- Sociology as Applied to Health and Medicine Graham Scambler