From the growth of a multi-billion-dollar high-technology corridor in Malaysia to conflict over housing development in Chicago, the practice of regional and local economic development around the world is both dynamic and...Show More
From the growth of a multi-billion-dollar high-technology corridor in Malaysia to conflict over housing development in Chicago, the practice of regional and local economic development around the world is both dynamic and diverse. Regional and Local Economic Development introduces the theory behind economic development and provides examples of successful, and less successful, practice.
This broad-ranging new text shows how government, private industry and individuals combine to achieve economic development. It examines the development of policies and practices in recent decades – such as eco-industrial parks, place marketing and social enterprises – and analyzes the ways in which contemporary regional economies are changing. It also summarizes the key academic debates and reviews the main concepts which inform policy-making. Truly global in scope, with case studies from over 30 countries, this book will be welcomed by students and practitioners alike.
- Truly international coverage, with over 70?case studies from around the world
- Examines the key concepts and theories of economic development in an accessible, easytoread style?
- Provides insightful analysis of changes taking place in developing and developed economics?
Why and How are Regional and Local Economies Changing
Place Competitiveness and Territorial Capital
Governance and Partnerships
Land and Premises for Business
Infrastructure and Communications
Economic Development and the Environment
Support for Entrepreneurship and Business Development
Housing and Housing Markets
Retailing, Food and Economic Development
Leisure, Culture and Tourism
Skills for Regional and Local Economic Development
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Urban Planning Chris Couch
- Making Better Places Patsy Healey
- Planning Theory Philip Allmendinger
- Urban Resilience Jon Coaffee, Peter Lee
- Urban Theory John Rennie Short
- Planning the Mobile Metropolis Luca Bertolini
- Urban Design, Space and Society Ali Madanipour
- GIS for Planning and the Built Environment Ed Ferrari, Alasdair Rae
- Spatial Planning and Governance Mark Tewdwr-Jones
- Planning in the UK Clara Greed
- Sustainable Cities Simon Joss
- Regional and Local Economic Development Cliff Hague, Carrie Breitbach