Providing a much-needed antidote to recent revisionist attempts to 'rehabilitate' apartheid, this major new text by a leading authority offers a considered and substantive reassessment of the nature, endurance and...Show More
Providing a much-needed antidote to recent revisionist attempts to 'rehabilitate' apartheid, this major new text by a leading authority offers a considered and substantive reassessment of the nature, endurance and significance of apartheid in South Africa as well as the reasons for its dramatic collapse. Paying particular attention to the international dimension as well as the domestic, the author assesses the impact of anti-apartheid protest, of changing attitudes of Western governments to the apartheid regime and the evolution of South African government policies to the outside world.Show Less
- A major reassessment of the nature of South African apartheid and its global context by a leading scholar
- Timely publication ahead of 5th anniversary of release of Nelson Mandela from jail and start of transition to majority rule
- Highly topical antidote to attempts by revisionist historians to rehabilitate Apartheid
Introduction: Apartheid's Global Significance
The Debate on the Nature of South Africa's Racial Policies: Totalitarian or Colonial?
Origins of Racial Policy: Consequence of an Imperialist War or the Prejudice of the Frontier?
Segregation: Home-grown or Imported?
The Theory and Practice of Apartheid: Was There a Blueprint?
South Africa in a Post-Colonial World: Modernising or Eroding Apartheid?
From Vorster to Botha: New Departure or Militarised Cul de Sac?
The Pursuit of a Negotiated Settlement: Choice or Necessity?
The Unexpected Transition to Majority Rule: Analysing a Miracle?
The Worldwide Anti-Apartheid Movement: Peripheral or Crucial?
Conclusion: Taking the Long View on Apartheid's Demise.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth