This illuminating and insightful guide offers a comprehensive overview of Scottish history, from the kingdom’s genesis in the ninth century to the independence debates of the present day. Considering both internal dynamics...Show More
This illuminating and insightful guide offers a comprehensive overview of Scottish history, from the kingdom’s genesis in the ninth century to the independence debates of the present day. Considering both internal dynamics and international horizons, Allan Macinnes asserts Scotland’s heritage as significant and compelling in its own right, rather than reducing it to an offshoot of England’s past.
Rigorous and wide-ranging, this textbook is an essential companion for undergraduate and postgraduate students of History. Its lively and accessible style makes it suitable for anyone with an interest in Scotland’s national development.Show Less
- Looks at Scottish History from local, national, and international perspectives.
- Covers a wide time span, from before the existence of Scotland to present day.
- Covers areas of strong current interest such as Brexit and its impact on the Scottish independence debate.
Wars of Independence, 1214-1424
Renaissance and Reformation, 1424-1625
Covenanters and Jacobites, 1625-1753
Enlightenment and Enterprise, 1753-1884
Unionist, Civic Patriots and Nationalists, 1884-1999
1999-2018: The Road to Independence?
To take on the long history of the Scottish nation in a single volume is a prodigious challenge, and Allan Macinnes has risen to the task magnificently. This is a lucid, well-balanced account, full of insight, analysis and no little wit. – Graeme Morton, University of Dundee, UK
This book provides a wide-ranging and readable survey of Scottish history from the medieval era to the present. With clear prose and entertaining anecdotes, Macinnes introduces his readers to the most important personalities, events, and debates in Scotland’s past. – Michelle D. Brock, Washington and Lee University, USA
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Mastering Modern World History Norman Lowe
- A History of Spain Simon Barton
- Contemporary Britain John McCormick
- A Short History of Asia Colin Mason
- Studying History Jeremy Black, Donald MacRaild
- A History of the Baltic States Andres Kasekamp
- A History of the United States Philip Jenkins
- History of Africa Kevin Shillington
- A History of Australia Mark Peel, Christina Twomey
- A History of Modern Tourism Eric Zuelow
- A Short History of the British Industrial Revolution Emma Griffin
- A History of Scotland Allan I. Macinnes