This textbook offers a comprehensive overview of the most prominent theories, concepts and debates in environmental political thinking. In doing so, Robert Garner – an esteemed scholar in the field – offers a foundation from...Show More
This textbook offers a comprehensive overview of the most prominent theories, concepts and debates in environmental political thinking. In doing so, Robert Garner – an esteemed scholar in the field – offers a foundation from which readers can better tackle perennially thorny questions such as what environmental cost can we bear for development, what do we mean by terms such as ‘sustainability’, and how might we reconcile competing interests and influences in the political sphere.Garner concludes his introductory account by exploring the idea of a sustainable future and how society must be structured in order to achieve it, encouraging readers to consider the theoretical when considering the all-too important reality.
This text is designed for those studying environmental and green political thought, as well as readers keen to understand the development of environmental political thought over recent generations.
- Comprehensive coverage of the competing explanations concerning the relationship between environmental protection and key political concepts, including cultural, structural and constructivist explanations
- Topics such as animal and human ethics, green political economy and sustainability are explored in depth
- Designed to offer a systematic overview for use on courses on environmental and green political thought.
2. The Emergence of the Environment as a Political Issue.- 3. The Political Economy of Environmentalism.- 4. Environmental Ethics.- 5. Animal Ethics
6. The State and the Environment
7. Environmentalism and Democracy.- 8. The Environment and the Idea of Global Justice.- 9. The Environment and Political Ideologies.- 10. Conclusion: The Idea of a Sustainable Future and How to Achieve It
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Peer Support in Mental Health Emma Watson, Sara Meddings
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- The Critically Reflective Practitioner Sue Thompson, Neil Thompson
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan