The 6th edition of Andrew Heywood’s best-selling undergraduate textbook provides a clear and accessible introduction to the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated and shaped politics around the world. The author...Show More
The 6th edition of Andrew Heywood’s best-selling undergraduate textbook provides a clear and accessible introduction to the political creeds and doctrines that have dominated and shaped politics around the world. The author offers a clear exposition both of the historical development of each ideology and of the impact it has had on contemporary political behaviour, movements, parties and governments. In recent years, political commentators have heralded a renaissance of popular political ideology, characterised by a resurgence of issues and political traditions that many had thought obsolete. This new edition is updated throughout to take account of these developments, broadening its appeal internationally.
The book is particularly relevant for first and second year undergraduate teaching, and can be used to structure a whole course on political ideologies covering traditional ideologies (conservatism, socialism, liberalism, anarchism and fascism) as well as concepts which have developed into concrete ideologies more recently (multiculturalism, feminism and ecologism, amongst others).Show Less
- 6th edition of a comprehensive and accessible introduction to political ideologies, both traditional and more recent
- Long established as the leading text in the field
- Each chapter includes a range of innovative features and boxed information to aid learning and stimulate critical reflection
- New introductory and concluding chapters, 'Why Political Ideology Matters' and 'Ideology Without End', that take stock of the revival of political ideology
- A new Chapter on 'Islamism and Religious Politics' affords greater attention to what is the most politically significant contemporary religious political ideology
- A reworked and refreshed chapter around `Green Ideology'
- New illustrated feature on 'Political Ideologies in Action', linking a major historical event in to the ideology considered in each chapter, help to show the role different ideologies have played through global history
9. Green Ideology
12. Ideology Without End?.
- Question testbank
- Key concept and key thinker explainers
- Book updates
- Useful weblinks
- + more!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth