Contemporary democracies vary greatly in how much income inequality they tolerate. Some, like the United States and the United Kingdom, have seen high and rising levels for decades, while others, such as the Nordic...Show More
Contemporary democracies vary greatly in how much income inequality they tolerate. Some, like the United States and the United Kingdom, have seen high and rising levels for decades, while others, such as the Nordic countries, are much more equal.
This comprehensive text draws on a wealth of cutting-edge theories and empirical data to examine the political and economic causes and consequences of income inequality around the globe. It is organized around a set of key questions, including:
- Is there something morally wrong with inequality?
- Is inequality good or bad for economic growth?
- How does inequality affect political participation and engagement?
- Who decides in the politics of inequality?
- The first comprehensive textbook treatment of the politics of inequality
- Suitable for a wide variety of courses
- Fully up-to-date, with consideration of inequality in light of the Great Recession which began in 2008
1. What is the Politics of Inequality?
2. Is There Something Morally Wrong With Inequality?
3. Why Should We Care About Inequality?
4. How to Measure Inequality?
5. What are the Empirical Patterns?
6. Does Inequality Matter for Growth?
7. What are the Roads to Riches?
8. Does the Welfare State Reduce Inequality?
9. Does Economic Inequality Lead to Political Inequality?
10. Who Decides in the Politics of Inequality?
11. What Future for the Politics of Inequality?.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth