Critics like to depict the European Union as undemocratic and unpopular, but their arguments are too often based on myths and misunderstandings. This does us all a disservice, and in this period of uncertainty about the...Show More
Critics like to depict the European Union as undemocratic and unpopular, but their arguments are too often based on myths and misunderstandings. This does us all a disservice, and in this period of uncertainty about the future of Europe it is more important than ever that we have a firm grasp of the issues at stake.
This powerful new book debunks the misconceptions surrounding the EU and makes a compelling and comprehensive case for the benefits of European integration. It shows how the EU has improved the lives of Europeans in countless ways, and how it has given Europe a powerful presence on the international stage. Guaranteed to illuminate as well as spark debate, this book will appeal to anyone who seeks to better understand what Europe means and why it matters.
- Economic crisis in the eurozone has triggered a widespread debate about the current state and future direction of European integration.
- This book will tie in with that debate and will answer readers' 'so what' questions about the European project
- Written by a bestselling writer who is renowned for his ability to present complex material in a clear and engaging way
- This will be the first proEuropean book to engage with the current debates about the future direction of European integration in light of the eurozone crisis
2. What is Europe?
3. Europe as a Peacemaker
4. Europe as a Marketplace
5. Europe as a Democracy
6. Europe as a Community
7. Europe as a Model
8. Europe as a Global Player
9. Where To From Here?
10. Twenty Reasons Why Europe Matters.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Theory and Methods in Political Science Vivien Lowndes, David Marsh, Gerry Stoker
- Development and the State in the 21st Century Erica Frantz, Natasha Ezrow, Andrea Kendall-Taylor
- The Government and Politics of the European Union Neill Nugent
- Global Politics Andrew Heywood
- Understanding Public Administration Michiel S. de Vries
- Comparative Government and Politics John McCormick, Rod Hague, Martin Harrop
- Political Ideologies Andrew Heywood
- Public Management and Administration Owen E. Hughes
- European Politics Tim Bale
- Europe Recast Desmond Dinan
- Essentials of UK Politics Andrew Heywood
- Terrorism Richard Jackson, Lee Jarvis, Jeroen Gunning, Marie Breen-Smyth